I was getting ready to post an email to a group I’m part of, and was sidetracked by a popup that said I could send $20 to “Mary Green.”
Here’s why it’s interesting and/or disturbing
- Google has become a bank. The transition is complete.
- Isn’t this something like BitCoin?
- They’re putting ads in my own email before I write it? How is that not spam?
- Get me the fuck out of here.
Here’s why I’m freaking out
- Lately Google has been taking liberties with my email far more than I ever gave them permission to. Yeah, I’m sure legally I did — or I’m sure they think I did.
- They make messages disappear as I click on them in the iPad version of GMail. They filter important messages to new tabs they invented, without asking me. Now they’re invading a writing space with ads? What??
- I like that they add features to GMail, but they’re really pushing us around, and it’s not cool.